Sunday, March 23, 2008

The creations


Rustic white baguette, Blueberry-Oatmeal Muffins (with streussel topping), and Christopher's turkey meatloaf. It was a nice relaxing day yesterday. I wanted to kick off the weekend to a healthy start. I bought Ellie Krieger's new cookbook The Food you Crave at Costco on Friday night. I really like her approach to cooking more healthful meals. It's not about taking things out, or excluding things from your diet. It's just thinking through what we eat and trying to add in more nutritious ingredients when you can. For example, my muffins weren't from a recipe in her book, but following hear lead, I only used 1/4 cup of oil for all of them, and then I also used about 1 & 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries in them. It made the content of bread in each lower and fruit higher. I used a lot of oats in each too. I used all-purpose flour, but you could easliy and tastily substitute whole-wheat pastry flour, which is my favorite kind of whole-wheat flour. I would recommend the book, it isn't groudbreaking, but it provides a lot of ideas and techniques that I wouldn't have known without her nudging.

We went for a long walk on the beach today, we walked for about 2 hours. It was almost like a summer scene, there were families and beach parties everywhere. It felt like summer, but I guess there are a lot of people on spring break. It was a beautiful day. Perfect weather for a long walk. We came home and had chicken fajita salad for dinner, which was really yummy. Chris grilled the chicken and I skewered the vegetables for him to do right there on the grill as well. Nice, quick cooking, healthy way of doing it.

As we finish up the last of the laundry and get ready to watch the next installment in John Adams, I am wondering (as always) where did the weekend go?! But even though it's not a 10 item list this weekend, it was packed with events as always. Hope you had a wonderful weekend and hope to talk to you soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What fun to see your food (yum) and to get a peek at the new dishes! Your wlk on the beach sounds wonderful. Hope the ddesert maintains some of its color for the weekend that you will be here. It is at its absolute best right now.
Love,
MOM