Monday, April 21, 2008

Would you like some Zucchini with your Chocolate?

I think I might have mentioned to a few of you that I made the Chocolate and Zucchini cake from the cookbook by the same name a couple weeks ago. It turned out great, and of course, I have some adjustments that I will try the next time, but I just thought that some of these photo were too good to pass by without sharing!

I will post the recipe, I don't have it with me at the moment. But it includes 2 cups of grated, unpeeled zucchini:

Unsweetened dutch-process cocoa powder- I haven't been able to find this anywhere lately! I used to buy Droste at my happy neighborhood VONS, but they haven't been carrying it. It's pretty pricey- about $10 per small box, but oh-so-fabulous. I am having a tough time living without it. As a result, I have been substituting unsweetened chocolate baking squares, but I totally made this cake on a whim and didn't even have any more of those on hand. So, I pulled out the stops and just used melted 60% cocoa ghiradelli chocolate chips. Does this picture make you want to lick this bowl or what?
The final step before putting the cake in a springform pan (or in my case, a cake pan lined with parchment paper) is to fold the zucchini and chocolate chips into the cake batter. Well, let's just say that is no easy task. This batter is THICK. I think a lot of the cake's moisture comes from the zucchini, so you don't want a real wet batter. However, that makes incorporating anything evenly a chore. Probably made more difficult by my addition of melted chocolate when the recipe didn't call for it. However, the green is gorgeous with the brown.
The Grand Finale: Clothide recommends trying olive oil instead of the butter, and I am totally going to do that next time. I think it will yield a cushionier cake- this was heavenly and densely chocolately, but I think the butter makes things puff up more and get a little drier. Not bad, just different. More cakey than brownie-y and I think brownie-y would be better. I doubt that it will take me long to try it again. YUM.

Recipe to come! I promise. Hope you are having a great Monday!
Gateau Chocolate& Courgette
1/2 Cup butter at room temperature or 1/2 Cup Olive Oil, plus 1 pat for greasing
2 cups of all-purpose flour (I recommend King Arthur's unbleached)
1/2 cup of unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules (I used a shot of espresso)
3 large eggs
2 cups unpeeled grated zucchini (about 1 & 1/2 medium zucchinis)
1 cup bitersweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 10-inch springform pan. (Or line it with parchment paper)
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a food processor, process the sugar and butter until creamy (or do it by hand with a sturdy spatula (I added the espresso here). Add the vanilla coffee granules, and eggs, mixing well between each addition. Add the zucchini and chocolate chips, fold into the batter and bblend with a wooden spoon. Don't overmix. Pour into the prepared cake pan and level the surface with a spatula. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a rack to cool for 10 minutes, run a knife around the pan to loosen the cake and unclasp the sides of the pan. Enjoy.
Clotilde Dusoulier Chocolate and Zucchini

No comments: