Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Chocolate Shortbread


You can't begin to imagine how good this is. Sooooo simple. And yet... fantastic. I really like shortbread plain. I have been wanting to try it topped with melted chocolate, but I was worried about the textures. The chocolate is hard once it chills and the shortbread is crumbly. I thought that I would just end up with little pieces of shortbread stuck to the chocolate sheets. And it's not perfect. Oh, it's pretty here in these pictures, but once you cut into it, it is going to crumble a little bit. So it's not a party cookie, unless you are cool with asymetrical cookies that might be all different sizes. But for a weekend treat that you will enjoy all week it's great. I used the shortbread recipe in the Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Baking and just covered it with melted chocolate. It probably took less than 1 cup of chocolate chips... I didn't want it too thick. I used the leftover melted chocolate to cover strawberries. Also super simple and divine. Seriously- they are so easy, so good, and not that bad for you. I wonder why I don't make them more. They didn't make it to the picture-taking stage... we ate them! ;) I will post the recipe for the shortbread when I do the Chocolate and Zucchini cake... sorry, I know I am behind! Happy Wednesday- we are more than halfway there my friends!

Classic Shortbread
1 & 1/2 Cups of all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups of unsalted butter at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl, beat on medium until smooth and light in color, about 3 minutes. Mix in the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and beat on a low speed until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Using an offset spatula, spread the dough evenly into a 9 & 1/2 inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Prick lightly over the top with a fork. Bake at 300 degrees F for 55-65 minutes. Remove from the oven and cut the warm shortbread into 12 wedges. Let the shortbread cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Once cool, melt the chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave. Pour over the top of the shortbread, and place the shortbread in the freezer to set. Once set, place the pan on top of an inverted bowl. Gently ease the sides of the pan away from the bottom. Cut into wedges and enjoy.

Williams-Sonoma The Essentials of Baking

No comments: