Friday, April 18, 2008

Celebrate the everyday

I am so sorry that I haven't been posting. I hope that you haven't been looking back too often only to realize there is nothing new here. It's funny, I read Ali's blog quickly today, and realized, as I often do when I think about scrapbooking/life art/journaling/etc.- It is the everyday stuff, the seemingly mundane details that we will not remember from our lives. I think we remember bits and pieces, but unless you are writing some of this down, you won't really appreciate it when you look back upon it.

I have been very busy with work the last couple weeks, and I have used that as an excuse to not write. What I have been going through isn't interesting... I haven't made anything interesting to eat, nor have I gone anywhere interesting, why should I write about it. Then this morning I thought about something from U of A, so I grabbed a photo album to flip through it while I ate breakfast. I literally looked at it for maybe 10 minutes, max. But I realized... the everyday stories were almost lost. I have the photos, and I know that a picture is worth a lot of words, but honestly, don't you wonder what your thoughts were? What were you doing from 8am to 9pm most days? What stressed you out? What did you get excited about? Who did you see daily? Who did you see only occasionally? What restaurants did you go to often? What did you cook at home? What tv shows did you watch? What movies did you see that year? etc, etc. And wouldn't you be interested to know now? I know that I would, and I wish that I had written more. So, I guess all you can do is stop wishing and start writing. Keep records for yourself first and for all the other people who might wonder about your life later, second. You'll be surprised how much they will probably mean in the future to both of you.

This is mostly a lecture to me, but click on over to Ali's blog and you will probably be inspired, like I am (yet again). So as a start... this week I have spent from 8:30am until as late as 10:00pm or as early as 7:30pm at work. But I had dinner with Chris at Fidel's last night, I saw some of American Idol on Tuesday and Wednesday, and I am excited to have a weekend. I am going to watch the finale of John Adams (which, we only know most of the things we do because John and Abigail Adams wrote extensive letters to each other) on Sunday, we're going to have BBQ one day this weekend, and try to see the ocean at least once. And I might scrapbook. Or not. But if not, I am going to try to write down what I did. 'Cause I am going to want to know someday. And maybe someone else will want to know too.

Happy Friday.

No comments: