Thursday, October 9, 2008

Walnut and Other Oils

Okay, so I thought that you might think I am a little crazy to mention the walnut oil in the last post, but I did some more research and I thought you might be interested. Turns out the La Tourangelle website is pretty information packed. I learned some facts about the quality of their products and the health benefits of adding some different kinds of oil to your diet. So, even though this probably isn't a long post, I figured it was worth passing along. When you get delicious and nutritious together, it is worth a listen! The next oil on my to-buy list is the Roasted Hazelnut Oil, for a couple reasons. 1. there is a recipe that I have been wanting to try that calls for it, and 2. it just sounds fantastic, does it not?!

So these oils are great for you health wise because they are rich in omegas, 3, 6 and 9; depending on the variety you choose. Also, with different heats, different oils work better. Grapeseed is suitable for very high heat cooking like sauteing and grilling. I went to a seminar where the instructor explained that cooking at high heats with olive oil completely changes the chemical composition, thereby rendering its positive health benefits null. I have no scientific proof to confirm this, but it makes sense to me. I am swayed to agree with her because we know that cooking meats on the grill until charred creates a known carcinogen. It is recommended that if any of your meat gets too black it is best to cut that part away and just not eat it. Cooking at high heats with olive oil can cause it to smoke or burn. This probably explains why it isn't a good idea to use it for these methods. I wouldn't change my habits 100%, I will always have olive oil on hand and I'll continue to use it on the stove, but it is good to know and a good excuse to try some other options!

Another health reason why trying some of these other oils is a great idea is that they substitute for butter, and not just in cooking. There are recipes on La Tourangelle's site for all sorts of vegetables served after steaming with a little of their nut oils and vinegar, or a grate of parmesan cheese. If your oil tastes great on it's own, you will probably be more likely to use it instead of butter in these dishes. Automtaically you'll increase your intake of good saturated fats and decrease the bad ones. Not that I don't love butter, but change is good!

Finally, I have found that once I have these oils on hand (and I do keep them in the fridge) I find uses for them that I never would have thought of in the aisle at the grocery store. I used the walnut oil the other day to grease a pan for banana bread. A much better option than butter or oilve oil due to the heat of the oven, and the bread turned out perfectly. And if the flavor came through, it complimented rather than detracted from my final product. I have also found that in pestos, vinegarettes, drizzled on fresh vegetables, anything where the oil is a star, these shine brightly. So check out your options and splurge the next time you come across these in the baking aisle. You won't be disappointed!

Recommended: Grapeseed oil for the grill and sauteeing (not cold items, such as salad dressings). Walnut oil for anything and everything under 485 degrees F. I will update once I try the Hazelnut oil, it's on my shopping list!

2 comments:

PG said...

MJ, you should audition for http://www.foodnetwork.com/the-next-food-network-star/index.html. If http://www.thecookingguy.com can be on TV, you can clearly be on TV. Cheers.

Meagan said...

Thanks Geno! You are so sweet... I might just have to check that out! :)