Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Chicken Tacos with Caramelized Onions

Sometimes you gotta mix it up. I made roasted chicken breasts the other night because I really like having them on hand during the week. They are a total time saver when you are making lunches because the chicken is perfectly cooked and you just shred what you are going to eat and make a salad to go underneath. Shredded chicken is also great to go in all sorts of entrees- and I find that by just removing the process of cooking the chicken gives me time to be more experimental with the other ingredients.

Like these onions. Seriously, to die for. I used sweet yellow onions, sliced thin. I heated a bit of walnut oil in my trusty small not non-stick pan. The walnut oil is so tasty and good for a little hotter cooking than olive, but you could sub in olive oil for sure. Keep an eye out at the store for the walnut oil, I promise your salad dressings alone will make it worth it. To the onions, add 1/2 tsp salt and freshly ground pepper, and 1 tsp of brown sugar, packed. The trick to perfect caramelization is to leave the pan alone. You can focus on the other things while the onions are cooking. I chopped purple cabbage, tomatoes, and shredded sharp cheddar for our toppings. I would have loved to have added an avocado to this combination, but I didn't have one on hand.
After a couple minutes, stir the onions and start adding the shredded chicken. You are aiming for a deep caramel color in the onions, and the flavor will come together and meld with the chicken. There is really no reason to add anything else at this point except salt and pepper to taste. For a real treat, bring the heat up to medium high right before serving and squeeze a quarter of a lemon or half of a lime's juice over the mixture.
We finished our tacos with black beans (recommended- Bush's seasoned recipe), the three toppings mentioned above, a dollop of sour cream, and a splash of green tabasco. YUM.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Does that look delicious!
Love,
MOM