Friday, December 5, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup

I love butternut squash. I think it is one of those awesome vegetables that is just as hearty as potatoes with a meal, and so much better for you. Also, it couldn't get easier, really. Just halve open that bad boy and roast it for a while at whatever temperature you are already using your oven (or 375 degrees if it's in there solo) and in 35-40 minutes, it's perfectly tender. Slightly sweet, it only needs a sprinkling of salt and a pat of butter to make the perfect side dish.
Therefore, I hardly ever do anything else with it. I have a hard time getting past that preparation, especially when I am doing other, more complicated things. So, when I saw this soup, I thought, I should broaden my horizons. Combined with sweet yellow onions, garlic, and chicken broth, the idea of the soup had me ready to break with habit.
Now, it wasn't bad at all. I just felt like the amount of work required didn't measure up to the end product. I think the next time I will make a few adjustments. Also, if you really want to try this, I would recommend looking for the peeled and pre-cut squash in the refrigerated section of the market. I have seen this from time to time at Costco or Trader Joe's. While fresh squash is good, it was a lot of work to peel these guys.
With such beautiful color, you have to be getting a lot of nutrients from this soup. Finished off with a bit of cream and some toppings (see below) this is a comforting addition to any meal- or with a salad, it could probably be a meal by itself!
Butternut Squash Soup
Makes about 2 quarts
1 & 1/2 - 2 sweet yellow onions, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced fine
2 tablespoons butter
4 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, diced and roasted slightly
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1 box (3 cans) low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup cream (at room temperature)
1 teaspoon kosher salt (start with half if you aren't using low-sodium broth)
ground black pepper to taste

Saute the onions and garlic in the butter in the bottom of your largest stock pot over medium heat until translucent, but not brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add the squash and the spices, stir to coat. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes, or until the squash is very tender. Add the salt and pepper. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Add the cream and stir to combine.

Toppings: Dried cranberries, toasted chopped walnuts, chopped sage leaves, chopped flat parsley, and/or grated hard cheese such as Gruyere, Percorio Romano, or Parmesan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The soup does look delicious, but I agree that the peeled version would be the only way to go. I still have two of the
"decorations" from the Thanksgiving arrangement. We will be having butternut squash one night soon!
Thanks again for the pizza crust tutoring! It was the best.
Love,
MOM

PG said...

Hi MJ. I hope all is well and you can visit your families again in Arizona for Christmas.

To apply positive peer pressure to encourage you to follow your culinary passion, did you know that Aida Mollenkamp is an alumnae of the firm--like you? Her work appears on http://www.foodnetwork.com/ask-aida/index.html and http://www.chow.com/tags/2395-aida-mollenkamp. I just wrote about it on fb.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Oh the infamous butternut squash...